Kundalini yoga and polarity points

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Margaret Jansen Margaret Jansen 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jo
    Jo
    Participant

Recently Kaypacha introduced me to his particular flavor of Kundalini yoga.
    For the last 2 weeks I have been practicing the Kriya as presented in his dvd daily. It took me a while to get into it, but I have now progressed from the dvd to my own music score and timings. Besides the challenges of a ball breaking series of squats and an attention that just loves to disappear into fantasy land, I am starting to observe another layer to this Kriya that I hadn’t noticed at first. It would appear as if all the movements stimulate the yin and the yang energies and then at the end, during the meditation some kind of masculine/feminine, left side/right side rebalancing goes on without any conscious effort on my part. Its an entirely fascinating experience. Has anybody else tried the Kriya or had a similar experiences?

Today, during my practice it occurred to me that I could probably help this balancing along if I were to work into the polarity points of my mars and venus as well. But I am not exactly sure what that would look like. Can anyone offer some insight or suggestions?
    My mars is in sag in the 11th house….so its polarity point is in gemini in the 5th
    My venus is in virgo in the 8th (cough cough)…so its polarity point is psices in the 2nd. I am a relative newbie to astrology so please be patient if the question is somewhat elementary.

Profile photo of JossAngel
    JossAngel
    Participant

Hi Jo,

What an interesting thought. It would be helpful to know what sign the planets are in in thoes houses and the degree they are at e.g. Mars = 10 degrees Leo in the 11th House. The sign gives the flavour, the house is the setting and the planet is the what.

Mars (Assertiveness, initiating, male etc) being in the 11th (Friends, Community, All things Aquarian) House may indicate that you are an initiator of these things. I say may as the sign is missing plus this is a first stab at thinking about it.

Venus (Nurturing, receicing, wisdom, flowing, growing, feminine) being the 8th House (Sex, Transformation, Money, Possessions, All things What One Has or keeps close ruled by Scorpio) may indicate that you use these feminine qualities to process and espress all things 8th house.

Knowing the degrees and minutes of your planets positions will help you to accurately pinpoint the polarity points as Signs can straddle a couple of houses.

Polarity Mars = 5th House (Children, Self Expression, Creativity and Romance, All things Leo). The question to ask is ‘How am I being assertive in these areas? How am I relating with and dealing with these issues? Do I have any hang ups or what are my beliefs and behaviours around these things? Do I speak up for what I want or do I just expect everyone to be a telepath and know what I want? Am I expressing myself coherently and clearly?’

Polarity Venus = 2nd House (Ruled by Taurus. Resouses, the body, gratification, Skills, Value, Status, Quality, Utilisation and Aquisition) Questions to ask – ‘How do I use my feminine wiles to get what I need and more? What do I want and need? HOw do I go about the world? How am I known? Do I have any hang ups about being satisfied, full, induldged, fulfilled?

Anyway these are just my speculations.

In Love and Light

Joss

Profile photo of Sol
    Sol
    Participant

Interesting observations. In my experience all kinds of yoga has a balancing power over the body and the pranic realms and the vayus /the winds (which is the particular focus of the kundalini yoga), and thus they are all polarity therapy. But some yoga is more stimulating (Mars), some more relaxing (Venus Moon), some more to the nervous system (Uranus), some more devotional- (Neptune), some more transformational (Pluto) etc.

The optimal use of yoga is thus to use is in accordance to daily needs , if you are feeling low on energy etc.

Or if you have a particular energetic challenge in the astrological chart to actually need a specific kind of yoga (lets say a heck of a lot of planets in pisces and a strong need for learning details, then Iyengar could be appropriate, or if you are very capricorn and need to work on those heart openers, then Anyusara) (just thinking out loud here)

Mars in Sag would for me need a lot of hip openers and stability exercises, whilst for instance Venus in Virgo in the 8th do well with more kundalini yoga as it balances out the sexual energies.

😀

So a yoga for each mood.

Profile photo of Jo
    Jo
    Participant

Hi Joss,
    Thanks for the input. I’m a relative new comer to astrology and through repetition of these concepts, especially through the lens of one’s own chart, something is starting to stick.

My mars is at 25deg Sagittarius in the 11th and venus at 8deg virgo in the 8th.

Your polarity point descriptions and questions have given me food for thought as to the relative health of these areas in my life. Thanks for that!
    Namaste…

Profile photo of Jo
    Jo
    Participant

Hi Sol
    I’ve recently had the pleasure of listening to your viewpoints as expressed on one of the guest clips on this site. Lots of knowledge and authentic application there. Looking forward to your next clip which I believe is this month!

I like what you have to say. Different strokes for different folks, and an adjusting practice depending on what the mood of the day is asking for. I’ve practiced various styles of yoga off and on for some time now, but kundalini is new to the fold and the energetic effect took me by surprise. Yes, it certainly does feed my venus. I find myself all of a sudden feeling decidedly and deliciously feminine (which is notable for someone with a lot of yang in her chart). Nice! My venus in virgo
    in the 8th has received a few knock backs that I think she went into hiding. I think her offering is poorly understood by some astrologers who tend to climb into her in not such an appreciative or understanding way. I’ve come to understand her energy more as something seeking to reveal the beauty and truth hidden beneath the surface, in much the same way that a river patiently and persistently carves a canyon through bedrock. Afterall, who can stand in the grand canyon and not be at least a little bit awed by what venus in virgo laid bare there?

Yes, I can see the mars/hip connection. An area of my body that plays up when things are not quite in synch in my life. Probably a good idea to supplement the practice with a bit of vinyasa to feed mars a bit. And probably to do it in a creative and playful way to balance him out a bit.

Thanks Sol for the interesting perspective.
    🙂

Profile photo of Margaret Jansen
    Margaret Jansen
    Participant

Hi Jo,
    I just practiced the Kriya for the first time today, and whew, I feel exhilarated! I appreciate your question as it made me consider my own Mars, which brought some insight. I have Mars 10 degrees Taurus, retrograde in the 12th house. Recently, I have been experiencing some neck pain (Taurus ruling the neck, which is my rising also), stemming from an old injury. I usually bounce on my rebounder to move my body, but it’s too much for my neck, so I decided to try the Kriya and it was perfect for me to allow ease in my neck while activating my legs, energizing that which takes me forward, which can be a challenge for me with my Mars Placement. Thanks for letting me share and deepen my experience!

Profile photo of Sol
    Sol
    Participant

I agree Jo, that kundalini goes directly to the pranic level due to its focus on pranayama and the movements.

However there is something in Kundaliniyoga that I cannot deal with too much due to a hypermobility problem that I have, and that is the lack of proper technique when holding a position. A lot of the more aggressive forward folding movements actually destabilizes the back and can be a problem if the core is not held tightly. That is of course the issue with all yoga.

And yes, bringing out the feminine is great! That is just in accordance to the Mars-Venus dance we have going for the time being and that I comment on in this coming video. Yoga is sun-moon (day-night), mars-venus (masculine-feminie), jupiter-saturn (ekspansion-contraction) , Uranus-Neptune (higher mind-spirit) and Pluto (transformation) .

I work in particular in my yoga practice to balance out the imbalance between my jupiter (wanting to go into those fancy postures and expand upwards) and Saturn (putting focus on details and making sure that I need to hold a certain contraction to be able to create steady ground for expansion).

Really cool..Love it when it is taken to the level of astrology.

Profile photo of Jo
    Jo
    Participant

hey Margaret… glad you tried the Kriya. I also find it energizing in a mars/venus kind of way. Rebounding is also a firm favorite of mine, but like you, I have an old injury which prohibits the rebounder when it flares up. My spine is somewhat compromised (owing to a fall I took in my youth out of a window and connecting face first with brick paving three stories down). The spine as I understand it is ruled by Leo. My Jupiter sits in Leo in the 7th house so I’m sure there is some relationship there. I find the crow squats in the Kriya give a deep release to my pelvis and lower spine while strengthening my legs so I feel like I stand better or am more grounded(if that makes sense?). The crow squats alone work deeply into my mars/sagittarius connection as well as stimulating my venus/virgo aspect (perseverance, patience). Its easy to over simplify what is going on, whereas in reality it actually feels as if neurons are being rewired which I guess would be a decidedly mercury thing. Who knows? as long as one is having fun and feeling some benefit one way or another! Besides, its definitely helping me over this crazy energetic time!
    🙂

Profile photo of Jo
    Jo
    Participant

Hey Sol… I can perfectly relate to what you are saying. Yoga is the perfect vehicle for the ego to run away with. LOL yes…yoga pretty much wiped the floor up with me and brought me to my knees…and not in some or other fancy balancing pose either! The number of times I have walked away from the mat, walked around it, rolled it up and thrust the thing into corner are countless. LOL. If Yoga taught me anything it is humility and to respect my body exactly as it is, not push it to where I think it ought to go. A few years ago I injured myself really badly and then contracted tick-bite fever which pretty much put pay to yoga or strong physical activity. The last few years has been a long and slow road to recovery. My body can no longer do any of the fancy stuff that yoga holds out there as asana-practice (and coming from the Ashtanga camp it has been an entirely humbling experience) and so I have had to evolve a new relationship to my body and yoga. My practice has become less about the outer appearance, or gratification in achieving the impossible pose, but more about my inner experience. If I succeed in reaching my knees in a forward bend its impressive! If I attempt anything beyond my pitiful limit, I pay the price of immobility for the next week, but I can do 5 minutes of cow-cat stretch in a kriya and am left better off for it, so perhaps you can understand why I am so enamored with Kundalini.

I could see how the movements could be regarded as aggressive if not properly held from the perspective of awareness and presence. Fortunately Kaypacha’s teaching encourages only that one do what feels is OK and he always stresses to go at your own pace, stop when needed and continue as you feel ready (its not all or nothing as he says). I found this advice has helped me to connect to the practice realistically and authentically, to really tune in and listen and to take care not to flic-flac carelessly about my spine, but to keep the motion fluid, lubricated and comfortable at all times. Probably there are other teachers out there that push aggressively, but I find Kaypacha takes a different approach which I really appreciate. He gives instruction and guidance, and then leaves you alone to discover, explore and evolve your own practice, which really works for me.

As I deepen into this practice, a shift from balancing polarities to a more multidimensional and circular/orbital view is taking place. It is becoming less about balancing apparent polarities (mars-venus, jupiter-saturn, sun-moon and so on) and more about finding that centre sweet point around which all these energies are orbiting in unison…an orbit whose centre could be defined as being everywhere and circumference as nowhere. This centre is less of a pivot point along which 2 polarities see-saw and which I must somehow balance, and more of a nucleus around which energies are held within orbital paths which I through life am seeking to harmonize…I feel my chart differently in this light. Perhaps a little poetic but it works for me!
    🙂

Profile photo of Margaret Jansen
    Margaret Jansen
    Participant

Jo,

Sorry for the late reply… I was blown away by what you wrote, as I had a serious fall at 10 years old too! I was attempting to free fall bounce on the bed with a blanket over my head (my wild friends idea lol) I missed the bed and hit the dresser with my face, smashing my teeth. At the time, my teeth were the focus, getting them to stay, which they have, but no bodywork until my 20’s. It’s been a blessing in disguise though because healing that trauma which continues today, has led me to my awakening really. In fact, I think I’m just now releasing a lot of the emotion now at 41. I think the Kundalini is helping me to release. I found a youtube of Nihal Kaur leading a class and I loved it! I may be hooked!

It’s funny that two people who had serious falls enjoy bouncing through the air on a rebounder. I wondered if my head trauma related to having Chiron in Aries?

Thank you so much for sharing!

Margaret

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Get the Pele Report Straight to Your Inbox!
See what Kaypacha is up to, along with more astrology news!
We respect your privacy.